Monday

3rd place makes us happier than 2nd

This is really interesting.

Research has shown that bronze medalists are happier than the silver medalists.

"The psychologists obtained television interviews with the medalists and asked volunteers to rate the athletes' comments immediately after they had finished their events. Silver medalists, the researchers found, obsessively spoke about what they could have done differently to have won gold. Bronze medalists, by contrast, tended to focus on how lucky they were to have won a medal at all"

Read the entire article here:

http://tinyurl.com/6eg5dx

As someone who has add this exact experience of losing the gold medal in a state championship race, I concur, I really don't consider that getting second place in the state championship was a great accomplishment. I have it that I lost the state championship. And as mentioned in the article, it clearly affected me, as I am talking about it 24 years later.

1 comment:

Hueina Su said...

Hi Mattison:

I can definitely attest to that too. I used to compete in state and regional Tae Kwon Do championships. One time I "only" got silver, and the feeling was that I "lost" the gold. I hid the silver medal behind my other gold ones. The bronze medalist definitely looked much happier than I was. LOL

Hueina
Intensive Care for the Nurturer's Soul